Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Well I got my car dug out

with the help of three neighbour women who showed up and offered to help as I was clearing off my car. They had a small snow shovel thankfully. In the ten years I've lived in the apartment, I've never needed it, but you better bet I'll get one for next year. The snow had drifted so that on the back there were about six or eight inches on it, but in the front it was about two feet--my windshield wipers were barely visible where I'd left them up due to the ice. It took us about 45 minutes to free the car, but I should be able to go to a couple of appointments tomorrow morning, one with a friend, and then on to work tomorrow.

Kentucky made the national news, as parts of the Interstate in a couple of places were almost like parking lots, and people were trapped for hours until rescued by National Guard members. That area had had at least 21 inches of snow. I can't stress how rapidly this stuff came down, on top of about 24 hours of heavy rain, so pre-treating was not really possible. One popular local spot for sledding had to be roped off because there was standing water at the end of the hill--not frozen, just standing--over by the Beaumont YMCA.

I hope we're done with the snow for the year. The temperatures are plunging tonight, so we are definitely still in winter's grasp. It should be around -8 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning. Next week is looking to be around the high 50s when I travel to Chicago, and Chicago is looking to be in the 40s. So let's hope Spring is on the way, soon.

No comments: