Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, March 29, 2015

The game involved some brain-dead strategising

between Brenda and myself, although I think we're poised to reach the climax of the adventure next time. We're trying to rescue three people from a village of nearly three hundred serpent people, led by a Serpent Mage, somewhere in the middle of the South American jungle, survive, and get out of there. That's a tall order at the moment.

Afterwards I fixed YKWIA some dinner and watched 'Hart of Dixie' with him; we only have six more episodes left on Netflix. :(

I realised last night that I had already transcribed the game notes, the weekend after my trip. That made life easier. But last night I spent the entire night waking up and then falling right back into an odd dream of Serpent men in Japanese guise and business suits, who were experimenting on humans, including me and and a man who were not characters in the game, but were of the class of characters, but we didn't have our swords or mystical powers, so we were pretty much just human. We were living in a compound until it was stormed by some sort of government agency, and everyone was saved. We'd been there some time; some of them had children who were four or five. But we couldn't say we were basically lab rats in an experiment run by Serpent Men. So the media thought it was some sort of cult that kidnapped people for some unknown reason. The whole dream unfolded a little at a time; I'd wake up, and go straight back into it. It was very odd. A lot of it came from the game, of course. At one point in the game, for example, a group of us were kept in a transparent house 65 million years into the future by the Great Race of Yith, who were in bug form in that time. We had hedges that ate people, and one of Brenda's characters was pregnant at the time she went on the adventures, so during the gestation she was in a suspended animation pod on the moon and then delivered her daughter on a vastly changed Earth where we were basically lab rats. So that may have been in the back of mind, too.

Okay, I'm tired; sorry to be so brief. There's a reason I don't tend to blog on Sunday nights--I'm normally tired from getting the house ready for the game, playing the game itself, and whatever happens later. It's an all-day thing. And starting next week, 'Salem' is back on, at 10 pm on Sundays. I don't know if I can stay up that late each week for awhile. We'll see. It's a good show, after all. Good night.

No comments: