Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Only here...or maybe in Texas

Bold steer's escape foiled by university's rodeo team member

University rodeo team member lasso[e]s runaway UK steer that briefly became a social-media star



  1. Despite the fact that Kentucky has more cattle than any other state east of the Mississippi, this fellow escaped from a research facility at the university, just in case you were wondering.
  2. I had no idea we had a rodeo team at the University of Kentucky.
  3. I first heard about the steer when Lex 18's application on my phone notified me of a bovine on the loose and where. When I went to the story on Facebook, some poor soul had made a comment asking what a bovine was.
  4. At first I did have to wonder if this was an early April Fools' prank. Wouldn't you?
[PS YKWIA was of the opinion that the research involved was obviously something akin to Flowers for Algernon, where the steer's intelligence was modified greatly and he realised they were sending him off to slaughter. We were of the opinion that the wily steer should be retired to a farm somewhere. I mean really, where is PETA when you need them? We were also of the opinion that depending on what research was really done, we're glad we don't eat meat, because I'm not sure I'd like to eat research animals who had been sent off to the abbatoir to be made into steaks. Just saying.]

No comments: