Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Reflections

I got up in the middle of the night because, well, it is what I tend to do, and also to give a libation to Hekate to thank Her for her protection during the journey.  I offered up a bottle of wine both before and after the trip, with a stipulation after the first one that the next would follow after a safe conclusion.  In relations with the Pagan Gods, particularly the Greek ones, it is often about contracts: If this, than I will do this.

So after five hours' of sleep (in which I slept like a baby, back at my own bed, my CPAP filter still smelling of the hotel room and the soap they had), I felt a little reflective of my trip.

One, I had a great time. I used to know someone who considered herself a world traveller.  She had grown up in Korea, a military brat like me, and had lots of frequent flyer miles.  She went to Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, places I would love to go to. Oh, and Russia (I'm not so keen to go there.)  And you know what?  Each time she came back, we asked her how it had gone, and it turned out that she spent her time in her hotel room reading.  (I can only presume New Zealand, which happened after our friendship ended, went the same way, but definitely with the other three). And she absolutely hated Russia, where she lived with a family, even though Russian was her major.  It was very sad.  She was somewhat feral and nasty in her own environment.  I have no idea what they thought of this unfriendly American girl.

My point is, that even when we are uncomfortable trying new things, we should,  I've been to Chicago three times now, but never had the time to do more than travel to the conference and back, flying in one day, maybe taking the 'L' in, and flying out the very next day. I was very fortunate my first year to have a fellow Shriners librarian meet me at O'Hare and orient me to the trains and where to go, so I wasn't totally lost that first time.  But I didn't really experience Chicago.  Also, in times past, I was pretty much right there at the UIC-Illinois Medical District, where the various hospitals like the VA, Cook County, Rush University, UIC, etc., all congregate over by the University of Illinois at Chicago.  I didn't get to see much of any green space at all, and apparently from my conversation with one of the area librarians, there really is quite a bit of it in the city.  And I saw a bit this time, especially with the Museum Campus and Grant Park, although of course everything is still brown due to the winter and the thaw.  I would love to come later in the year sometime and go to the Navy Pier and spend more time in Millennium and Grant Parks.  I loved the architecture, and it took everything I had not to look up like a gaping tourist.  There was a honeycombed building, the one Steve McQueen was in during a movie, according to my colleague, that was a great landmark.  It was over near Trump Tower, which, despite the absolutely giant sign, made a good landmark, too.  I didn't go up to see the top of the Willis (formerly Sears, and possibly to be something else soon, as it's apparently up for sale) Tower, but my hotel room was on the 20th floor, above the hubbub of the street, overlooking the Chicago Riverwalk, and that was nice.

I learned that even though Chicagoans tend to wear dark winter jackets, and look at first glance to be very conservative in their dress at times (at least in winter), they seem to express personality with shoes, pants, and stockings.  I learned to manage to cross streets (always with the light, I wasn't brave enough to jaywalk, as even being in a crosswalk did not guarantee anyone was going to yield to you, and they drive very fast in short bursts, ready at the horn, especially the cabbies) without running into other people or cars, which is kind of a game of dodge 'em.  I'm a pretty slow walker, so I tried not to impede others too much. I kept my back to buildings when travelling with my gear or checking my position on my phone, and tried to keep aware at all times of my surroundings.  I did pretty well till I dropped my guard at the airport and lost my jacket.

The weather was very good, sunny each day and in the high 40s to low 60s.  Considering we'd gotten 17 inches of snow the week before plus Arctic cold, and I'm sure they've had low temperatures too, that was a blessing.  The weather was actually better than here, where we had fog on my day going out, and rain when I came in, with the temperature in Chicago being higher than here.

What I would like to have done:  I never managed to have Chicago-style pizza.  It would have been nice to see more of the museum (I was pressed for time), although the parts I skipped were largely the preserved exhibits, and taxidermied animals do tend to give me the creeps, although I recognise their scientific importance.  I would have loved to go to the Adler Planetarium or Shedd Aquarium as well.  And although I'm not sure, this may be my last year on the council (I'll have to check with my library association to see if they want to re-appoint me or send someone else, because the five-year contract with UIC is in its final year, although I think it's been renewed), I still have a Ventra reloadable transit card if I manage to come back, either with the RAC or on my own. :)

Okay, I think that's enough of a reaction piece for now.   I'm going to try to go back to bed,  Good night.

No comments: