Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 11, 2014

So

Tonight my phone was really low on battery and I decided to charge it a bit before calling home, and then I fell asleep. Now it's one in the morning their time. Trust Lisa to sleep, but in my defense I'd been going non-stop for over eighteen hours.

I decided I didn't have enough time to do the Field Museum justice after taking the L and a bus here and eating breakfast, so I explored the campus here. But tonight we went out to Greektown and had real flaming cheese (3 foot high flames!) and I had great moussaka.

We got back 8 central time, I got comfy in the hotel room (it's a three star hotel, so not bad for business travel) and then just went plunk.

Tomorrow I have a meeting from 8:30-1 and then I'll try to have some fun.

Three things about Lexington I miss:

1) My friends, of course.
2) the fact that it's already greening up at home, but here it's mostly concrete and even the parks I have seen are still brown. I have not seen one flowering tree, just a few daffodils that haven't opened yet.
3) even sidewalks--a lot of that concrete is pocked, uneven, or downright crumbling. One of my colleagues almost fell. Some corners just crumble into the street. Maybe that's just the Medical District, but I doubt it. Anyway, with my history of klutziness, I am trying to be careful of the pavement and traffic.

Okay, back to bed. I want to take a relaxing bath tomorrow morning before the meeting. Good night.

No comments: