Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 10, 2014

So, I'm in Chicago

I got in about 6:20 local time. Both YKWIA and a co-worker called me at 3 am and 4 am, respectively. Turns out I was awake, (I didn't sleep much or well), but it was really appreciated. I got to the airport right at 5 EDT. There was no trouble getting to the gate. I was buckled into my seat when they asked for volunteers to go to the back of the plane. We only had about thirty passengers on the small plane since it was so early, and they needed to distribute the weight. When I went to the new seat at the wing, which is single, sharing the aisle and window, I couldn't get that one buckled and had to ask for an extender, which made things more comfortable. Of course, it was the one she used to demonstrate the belt.

I had planned to hang around O'Hare for awhile and get something to eat and shop, but at the last minute I decided to check my bag, so I had to exit the secure area to pick it up. Then the board was saying the baggage claim was number three when in fact it was at nine. Next time I think I'll just take my bag with me and do what I did last time--carry it to the boarding and they just load it there. Saves money, too.

So I decided to buy a ticket for the L and rode over to the Racine stop, then took a bus a couple of blocks to the street where my hotel is. I went ahead and had them take my luggage after I pulled out the necessities. I exchanged my slip-on shoes for my walking ones and assembled my backpack purse with things like guide book, medicine, etc .

I did a preliminary check in (everything except getting the key). I was famished, so I ate at the hotel's breakfast buffet. I had a veggie egg white omelet, some oatmeal and berries, and part of a cinnamon Danish.

Then I decided that if I went to the Field Museum, I might get to sere some of it but only had a couple or so hours to enjoy it and would be worried about getting to the seminar on time. So I decided to explore the area, and found the UIC Student Center West with much less trouble than last time. So now I'm here, after visiting a lovely jewelry sale in the lobby. I found some nice shell or moonstone earrings, along with amethyst and rose quartz pendants.

So the question is whether I should hang out here for awhile or explore some more. I've already exceeded my normal daily steps by about 2,000. I am glad I have my inhaler with me, as there is a lot of car exhaust and other pollution here compared to Lexington.

No comments: