Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Time for anti-inflammatory pills again

I am in a great deal of pain. My ankle and foot were hurting so much earlier it was difficult to get home, much less rest. I'm tempted to go back into that damn boot again, if it would give some relief, however temporary. On top of everything, my left hand is nearly completely numb, meaning my neck is acting up again, this time on that side. Hopefully some ibuprofen will help with the pain and get the swelling down so the nerves aren't pinched.

There are certain aspects of growing older that are not what they are cracked up to be. Of course, as a customer once put it, every day you wake up on this side of the grass is a good one.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is the day I go to the funeral home and talk to them about advance planning my cremation and funeral. I talked with the lady earlier this evening to confirm.

My, it's been a long week. Even today was long. I got up early to move things around so the workmen could get to my windows, because I have two panes (two different windows, one in the bedroom and one in the living room) that have cracked. One at least was due to something hitting it when they did yard work. I'm not sure what caused the other. It just appeared one day. Anyway, the bedroom is the worst, but had just a couple of plant stands in the way to put to the side. In the living room, there is a table with plants on the top and books on a lower shelf stacked about three feet high. I didn't want them to have to move that, especially as my printer stand, which is designed to attach to the computer desk by a small triangle joint, is actually in line with the table and desk and held up by them bolstering it on each side. If you don't know that, and move the table, then my printer does a nose dive. So it was better to just get up early and move some things around. It's really time to take the recliner out entirely; it's dead, shedding bolts here and there. That's part of the plan tomorrow.

Anyway, I needn't have bothered, really, because a water emergency in another building meant they weren't able to get to the windows, but they left a nice note that was very apologetic and promised to fix them Monday. In the meantime, there are books on the sofa, and thinks are all askew, but I can deal with it till then.

There was also an eviction notice on my door when I came home. I paid my rent yesterday, but they had filed on Tuesday and it was just being served. I have to call them Monday to see if I need to go to court to present my receipt or not. I haven't come this close to being evicted in some years (although there's usually a rough spot near November if there is a danger). I can't believed I did something as utterly stupid as forgetting to decline my book club titles. Oh, wait, yes I can. For the record, the titles are Neal Stephenson's Reamde and Harry Connolly's The Wooden Man. Ironically enough, it was the first set of features selections where I was not actually interested in either book. But since each book has now cost me upwards of $200 or more, I'm sure as hell going to read them. At least the Connolly book is a three-in-one. And I'm trying to contact them, because that is not counting towards my total of books bought. They're saying I've just bought one at regular prices, when it's three. I just need one more and then it's goodbye SFBC, let me tell you, unless you magically get to stop having to decline selections once you fulfill your commitment. I know someone who doesn't have to, but they've been a member for years.

I was going to watch Supernatural (both the regular one at 9 pm and maybe one off of a disc of earliest episodes) tonight, but I was just so tired and hurting that I DVR'ed it instead. I probably should have finished the game notes tonight as well--although there is a good chance we won't play Sunday, since Brenda's been sick, but I need to be ready just in case. If we don't play, I'll still go over, clean, and we'll do something fun.

Okay, that's enough. I think the ibuprofen has kicked-in, pain-wise. I have to get up early enough to take the 9:45 bus into town, and I haven't actually filled out the planning book they sent me, although I'm not entirely sure I was expected to. Good night.

No comments: