Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Where to begin?

I have never owned an Apple product. That being said, I recognise that Steve Jobs was a visionary who changed my world, and I was very sorry to hear that he had died at the relatively young age of 56. The first computers I learned in school on were Apple IIcs and TRS-80s (the latter came from Radio Shack).

Over the years, as he revolutionised the tech industry with products whose features everyone tried to imitate, he made being a tech geek actually seem cool, a far cry from when I was programming on an Atari in high school.

He did so with a characteristic sense of humour. You can see that in this timeline produced by CNN:



World reacts to the death of Steve Jobs

Then there's the lovely tribute to him using a very simple redesign of the Apple logo.

So thank you, to the man who brought us Pixar movies and portable tech, who put an entire music library in our pockets and made our phones smart. RIP.

PS Just so things don't get too grim, I found this on a tribute to Jobs. It's the first Pixar film, the one that is the reason for the hopping lamp logo. It's deceptively simple in design, like many Apple products (with a lot of work on the back end to make it so).

No comments: