Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Maybe it's just as well I'm almost finished with my tenure at the store

Back in December I bought the requisite belted Dockers-style work pants in black, which I had difficulty finding in my size, but finally managed to procure ($50 from Land's End) and belt ($30 from Lane Bryant). The belt, which looked braided but really wasn't, snapped in June even though it was a little big for me. It couldn't handle being worn at the buckle, and the fibres separated. I went to put on the pants today and the zipper broke.

I've had much cheaper clothes that have lasted years before. I found a belt I didn't know I had, a braided leather one left over from the 1980s, big for me as well, so I've been wearing that. But the pants were a problem today because I only have only one other pair in requisition and they need to be laundered. So, I'm wearing elastic pants with my shirt out today. Oh, well, I think I'm the only one who really tucks my shirt in like we're supposed to, anyway, although these uniform shirts make it very hard.

Still, I'm not impressed by the wearability of either article of clothing, which should have lasted at that price at the very least a year, and both from places that are supposed to have good quality clothing. I'm not sure I'll be buying anything from either of them for some time, although they both send me catalogues and e-mails to do so.

No comments: