Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Feeling better

Today I did something uncharacteristic. I was working on the data entry and my back and neck were in spasm to a degree that I really couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, so I packed it in to finish tomorrow and went on home almost an hour early. The bus ride didn't help the pain much at all, and I realised I ached all over; it was just worse along my spine. When I got home I took a tizanidine tablet my doctor had prescribed for some neck pain I'd had back in March along with ibuprofen, and I went to bed for a couple of hours. I still ache a little, but the spasms have stopped and my back and neck can move without pain.

Now I've eaten a couple of veggie burgers and some grapes and I feel much better.

So it was a very short day at work today because I went to Frankfort from 10 am-3 pm for a Kentucky Medical Library Association meeting with a seminar on e-Books. I had a lady ask me about a book I'd reviewed, and I couldn't remember the exact title, but was able to look it up for her on my Kindle, which was pretty neat. I also discovered during the break that the number one selling paid product for the Kindle right now is actually a real Scrabble game, for $4.99. I couldn't resist, and had it within about 10 seconds and was playing it until the meeting resumed. Maybe my back messed up from riding in a car longer than I'm used to, I don't know. Frankfort's not very far away, after all.

On the way back, I'd closed my eyes for a second and my colleague, who was driving, suddenly said, 'Oh, my God!' I opened my eyes fully expecting to crash or something. But what it was was a full-sized Angus cow, dead, strapped on the back of a truck, which was rather odd. We also saw turkey vultures on a fence.

It was nice to get out of Lexington for a little while. We had the meeting at the Paul Sawyier Public Library and lunch was catered very aptly by a company in Frankfort called Artiste Catering. It was really nicely done; I heard only good things about the food. The boxed lunches all were named after artists; the vegetarian option was a Van Gogh, for example. It had avocado, herbs, cheese, and a lettuce mix on it.

The library was nice, too. I really wanted to hit their Friends' bookstore. It was small but inviting. The funny thing was in order to use the projector, you had to check out the cord and remote, meaning you had to have a library card. No one was actually there from Frankfort. But fortunately they let our president apply for a card without requiring her to live or work in the county, so it was a nice work-around. :)

Well, that's enough for now. I'm going to look up something for a friend. Good night.

No comments: