Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I may turn in early tonight

I'm still not finished reading my RSS feeds, but after work I went and did a big Kroger run (for me--6 canvas bags chock full of groceries). The last time I went on a grocery run for me (rather than getting an item or two) was about 4-5 weeks ago, so it was way overdue. I've been eating pizza, which is probably one reason I've put on a few pounds. With the exception of one 20 oz. soda, everything I got was very healthy--fruit, vegetarian patties, some ready-made Indian food, canned and frozen vegetables, various juices (orange with added calcium and vitamin D, V8, and light cranberry), yoghurt, cottage cheese, Special K cereal and milk--even the goldfish crackers were multigrain. Hopefully they'll last awhile. On the one hand, I got a ride from work to the store. On the other hand, I walked about three times my normal distance home because I decided to stay on sidewalks rather than the side of the road since it was dark. I'd planned ahead (bringing my cart on the bus to work with me, along with the bags, dressing in light-coloured clothing, etc.) and with the exception of the abysmal bagging and the detour, everything went pretty well. So now I have a kitchen full of food, some of which I can take to work. I'm spending way too much on lunch (I tend to get salads, and the heavier stuff like cottage cheese, so it's ridiculous. Today I had two slices of tomato with an otherwise light salad and it weighed almost two-thirds of a pound. I wound up paying $6.35 for milk, V8, yoghurt, and the salad. And that's with an employee discount. Plus I got a little macaroni and cheese during dinner and three cans of Diet Coke throughout the day. It's averaging about $10 a day. I can cut that a lot by bringing my lunch.

No comments: