Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, September 26, 2010

I wish I had DVR'ed the WEG opening ceremonies

I had no idea they were orchestrated by Dr Everett McCorvey, of the UK voice faculty. It was apparently a blend of opera (including Lexington-based Greg Turay), bluegrass, country, and other regional music. Woodie Guthrie's daughter, according to a Twitter posting I saw, led the audience in singing her father's 'This Land is Your Land', and many voices rose to sing 'My Old Kentucky Home'.

I've always liked Dr McCorvey. I auditioned for him once and actually could have taken individual voice lessons at the school as a result, but didn't have the money to really put into it at the time.

One thing that happened (and it wasn't mentioned on any of the news channels that I saw, just on Twitter, was a rider fell and was receiving medical treatment during the show. (Apparently they moved some potted plants to block the view of the audience somewhat.) Here is the official statement on the Games website:
Near the conclusion of the Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, a performer had an acute medical problem which required on site care. The University of Kentucky medical staff responded immediately, the patient was transported to UK Medical Center, and doctors have confirmed that he is in stable condition. No further information is available at this time.
That sounds better than it did making the round on Twitter, where CPR, possible fatality, etc. were bandied about. I hope all goes well for him.

I got up for a drink and an update on the rider. I guess I'll go back to sleep for another couple of hours, hopefully. Good night, again. I'm glad the opening ceremonies received generally very good reviews, although several people were upset that the full programme was not available on local television, and it apparently cut out about the time things really got going. But there is streaming video online as well. Just wish I hadn't missed it after all.

No comments: