Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, April 19, 2010

Ugh

I came in about 10 pm tonight thinking that my game master would do his normal thing and call to see how I liked the game, so I didn't watch Doctor Who 'Eleventh Hour' (the premiere of the 11th Doctor) on DVR. Instead, I snuggled up in the comfy chair with my phone nearby and a Snuggie over me and promptly fell asleep, waking up a little after 1 am. So I could have watched after all. Now I'm too sleepy. Ah, well, there's tomorrow.

I didn't see it last night when it premiered because I was at work. I got home early enough to watch it anyway despite needing to get up early for game preparations, but there was a retrospective on the programme on BBCAmerica that I thought sounded interesting, so I recorded that, and I didn't know enough about DVR to know if you could play a recorded programme while recording another. Anybody know?

Anyway, it turned out that was a good call, because I kept getting phone calls. One was from a friend regarding DVR (they just got upgraded to it). The rest were from a co-worker who was justifiably weirded out when a woman came in a little before close, begged for money and cigarettes, and then when he would give her neither made a point of telling him she'd seen him walking at night and asking when he left. He had to ask her to leave because she was hitting the customers up for money or cigarettes, too. After he closed up, a car came into the parking lot twice, circled real close to the store, and left, like it was waiting to see if he were coming out. He called the police and one of the officers who comes in regularly checked out the area and then took him on home to be safe.

I am so glad I don't close. This really would have creeped me out, too. I would have called the police so fast. You never know when someone might come back with a gun or a few friends with a baseball bat. For that matter I'm almost surprised she didn't just push him off the ladder he was on when she first came in and just taken the cigarettes she wanted, but of course it would have been caught on camera, so even though she was a nutjob, she was a crafty nutjob. Much better to try to intimidate him by threatening him in the most non-threatening of manners, and then getting him alone elsewhere later on. Of course, this kind of thing can happen at any time, but it's scarier that time of night. I'm glad the Lexington police don't mind checking out something that seems minor yet disturbing and making sure nothing happens to us. All the officers I've met have been great and I'm glad they're in and out so often at the store checking in on us.

Fortunately, everything turned out okay, and I'm glad he kept me up to date.

Despite the lack of sleep I got over to the place where we game by 8 am and cleaned, then played the game when the other two women showed up. Afterwards we did the big every-two-week grocery run, with each of getting a list of his or her own, which worked swimmingly. But that's why I'm so tired now. So that's pretty much it for tonight. I'm wiped out. Good night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

FYI: You CAN play a recorded program while recording another. You cannot play anything though if you have two programs recording imultaneously. The DVR will make you watch one of the two.

Should you have anymore questions about your DVR...just ask. We got one when we moved to Lexington and I absolutely LOVE it.