Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Update

I don't want to get in the habit of updating after the weekend and trying to catch up; after all, I have Internet at home and should be able to blog at least a little every day. But my weekends have been very busy of late, so at least for today, you'll get an update.

Saturday I worked my normal 10 hours, but it was at a different time--1 pm-11 pm. It was wonderful to sleep late (I did try to get up starting at 9 so I could do some things around the house, but that didn't work so well. I got up at noon.) However, being there until 11 made it seem like it was forever. I also had to do a couple of errands afterwards (I'd started my period, so that meant pads and wine for the religious libation. I live near two Liquor Barns but they close at 10 pm (why would a store that's allowed to sell liquor to 2:30 I think close at 10???) and the only other store near me is drive-through only, and I'm not going to choose a wine in a drive-through. So I went over near campus to a store with which I was familiar.) Then I came home, took a bath, and did my religious obligations, and went on to bed.

Sunday I went over to do game preparations early and had to chip my car out of ice due to freezing rain. But the roads were in good shape and the folks who live in town got in alright. We did have one player who lives out in the sticks who couldn't get down her driveway, since it was a solid sheet of ice, so she didn't come in. It was nice to play the game again (we'd been on a short hiatus) and I gave holidaty presents and got a Hound of Tindalos (stuffed, with a long blue tongue) from Dee! :) (It's a monster from the Cthulhu Mythos. Dee's husband owns a gaming store, so she often has access to products that have a game-related theme. One year it was a CD of Cthulhoid Christmas music.)

Yesterday I would have posted, and would have felt better if I could have, but I was busy at work and busier after, running several errands. I went into a panic because my potential boss at the public library sent me a release for a background check and said that the offer of the job was contingent upon a clean record. Now, when they asked about offences, they only asked about felonies, of which I have none. But I do have a couple of traffic stops and about three instances where I wrote a cheque, it bounced, and I didn't get it paid off until after the time alloted, so had to go to court. Everything, of course, was taken care of, the cheques were paid off and the court fees were paid. They were misdemeanours, of course. But she'd said a clean record, so I'd sent her back an e-mail after faxing the release form back to her telling her what they'd find and asking if it would be a problem. Today I heard back from her saying that if there's anything on it, they'd have to evaluate it, and she'd have to get back to me. So I won't probably know anything for a couple of days at least. But, if it falls through, it's my own fault, and there's nothing I can do now except answer any questions they have honestly and go from there. So now the panic is muted, although it's still there. I'm especially concerned that while most were awhile ago, there was one traffic stop this month (the lack of lights) and then there seems to be another cheque in the works that I paid off months ago but I need to go get the papers for to set up a court date. I don't know if that will show up or not.) Argh. Wish me luck.

Well, that's all for now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: