Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 15, 2007

Update on this rainy Martin Luther King Day

(upon which I work, we've never gotten off for it).

1) I can't really remember what I did on Friday. I did notes, I know that, but beyond that it was a blur.
2) I worked my normal 10-hour shift at the gas station; it was a harder than normal day. I had things like major coffee spills, a drive off, and an entire rack of cigarettes cascading down on my head. It was not a time of happiness. Then I ran a friend over to work so he could do an overnight shift. Then I went home and collapsed into sleep.
3) Early morning Sunday, I picked the same friend up, went grocery shopping, cleaned house, and got hooked on a Japanese show they have on G4 called 'Ninja Warrior', where 100 people start through a four-round course requiring strength, coordination, and agility. Only 11 made it to round two. The only American made it to round 3, which I thought was pretty good, especially as this was the first time in 7 years anyone managed to make it through round 4 (making only two men who have ever finished the course). It was pretty exciting and addictive, I must say. One of the contestants was a man who worked his way from gas station attendant to manager. I discovered that in Japan they are called 'gas jockeys'. Gods help me, I am a gas jockey. Then I did notes, then I went home and crashed about 8 pm and woke up about 8 this morning. I feel loads better although I think I'm a little hung-over from too much sleep.

Today I went to the ATM, went to the gas station for about half-a-tank (it was $1.99 a gallon!) and now I'm having my new improved breakfast of Quaker Oatmeal to Go (same sort of enrichment and protein as a Pop-Tart, but only 14% of daily carbs, not 75%, and half the calories (it's also great for tucking in a dog pill and giving a bit without being spat back out)) and a banana. I brought a fruit basket into work to add some colour on my desk and make sure I didn't let it ruin at home, since I'm so rarely there. Those, along with some primroses, have been very cheery through this spell of rain. Meanwhile, my amaryllis and paperwhites are shooting up pretty quickly. The amaryllis has a shoot coming up off the side; perhaps it made a baby bulb? The paperwhites added new shoots this weekend.

I have another job interview on Thursday at a local public library. I didn't get the last job but there's a chance I could get a temp position from about mid-March to August that would be during the week and then every 4th Saturday. I think my schedules at both other jobs would be flexible enough for that. So wish me luck.

Okay, I'm fortified and ready for my day. Hope yours goes well.

No comments: