Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 19, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks maybe this was a bad idea?

Spanish Flu in Monkeys Causes Uncontrolled Immune Response

Scientists reconstituted the virus that killed 50 million people during the 1918 epidemic by taking samples preserved in bodies from the permafrost. They then exposed macaque monkeys to the virus, with such dramatic effects that the monkeys were euthanised 8 days into the planned 21-day experiment, according to another article I read. The same article says the reconstituted virus is being held in only two high-security labs--one at Winnepeg and one at the CDC. But if these scientists can do it, couldn't others?

Yes, labs have lots of protocols to keep something like that contained. But protocols do fail. With all the concern over avian flu, it seems odd to bring something known to kill humans back. I admit my understanding of immunology is scant, but I don't think we're immune to that strain now.

The monkeys certainly weren't, poor things.

What did they learn? That the virus was so devastating among people who generally do not fall to the flu (usually it's the elderly and children, or immunocompromised) because it stimulated the healthy immune system into going into overdrive, flooding the lung tissue and causing them to drown in their own fluids.

Lovely. And we have this in a lab now? Makes me feel safe, righto. Just file it with all that smallpox and anthrax.

If someone out there who does understand the process better can explain to me why we shouldn't be concerned, I'd appreciate it. But my first response was one of, 'they did what?' But then I rather think science runs amuck sometimes, even though I generally support it.

No comments: