Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Grrr...argh

I just went through six pharmacies to try to get one of my diabetes medicines. My regular pharmacy is very small, so some of the brand names are an issue in terms of getting reimbursed enough, so I was getting this one at the University of Kentucky. which you would think is pretty big, so they could get it. And it wasn't any trouble before. But, no, they couldn't this time.

One had it (Kroger) but it no longer takes my medication insurance (head's up to you all at Shriners, as I'm pretty sure Express Scripts is used for both of the main plans). I finally found some at Walmart and am working on getting it transferred, although they won't know the price or anything until they run it and can't guarantee they'll be able to get it from here on out. Everyone else just had it on backorder. So it will hopefully work out as I'm supposed to take my weekly dose (it's a once-a-week injectable) tomorrow.

It's Ozempic, which has really helped with my blood sugars, but as I'm sure you've heard, recently perfectly skinny TikTok influencers who want to lose weight have been going crazy over it, and according to my main pharmacist, doctors are apparently writing prescriptions even when it's not needed, and in some cases, insurances are paying for it. Or maybe these people are just making so much money on TikTok that they just have the money to pay $1500-$1600 a month for it without batting an eye. Kroger did say they could sell me theirs for their retail price ($1500) if I wanted to pay without running insurance.




UPDATE: I did get my medicine in time for the scheduled dose, mainly by calling around and finally getting it at Walmart, a store I stopped going to years ago except for runs to get items for a friend who was dying of cancer.

The pharmacist did take me aside and explained that given the shortage, I should call them about three weeks ahead to get a refill started. Mind you, the pen lasts for four weekly doses, so I need to call them next week. I speak with my doctor this week and will let her know what's going on.

No comments: