Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Well, I didn’t get to go to the library opening

after my dental cleaning tonight, because something more important came up, but I plan to go very soon and see the new branch now that it is open. The dental appointment went really well; no cavities or any other issues, which is amazing for me. I guess using the Habitica application on my phone to remind me to floss was well worth it (I’m up to 53rd level now). Because I have a fairly small mouth, my old hygienist had noted that I did better with a small toothbrush, so my little baggie of goodies actually has a sparkly pink Disney princess toothbrush for ages 5-7 in it. Yeah, I know. But hey, it really does help. I think the last was one with the Cars movie characters on it.

I’m home now and eating some hazelnut spread directly out of the jar as I have no bread to put it on, and I didn’t feel up to macaroni and cheese. I should have had a sandwich at my friends’ house, as A did offer. I was really hungry until I got home, and it’s like it evaporated after I had a couple of spoonsful of the spread, which isn’t particularly bad, I suppose.

I met my new next-door neighbour, Nathan, tonight. He has a little brown 7-week-old puppy that looks like it might grow up into a chocolate Labrador, or at least some sort of Lab cross. He was adorable. And Nathan seemed nice, too.

Last night I tried to put some very old software on my desktop, which YKWIA has borrowed for a little while. I managed to get one game on, but the other two were too old to run on the 64-bit Windows 10 system I have. I did figure out that I might be able to put on a virtual machine if I can get a full copy of Windows 95 or 98 on eBay or something [I have a Windows 95 disc, but it’s an upgrade one]. I asked the IT guys at work about it. They thought that was way too much trouble for a couple of games, but it would probably work if I could pull it all together. One of them suggested looking at the Internet Archive to see if those games are archived there, and could run in a simulator built into the website. I’ll check that out. He’s like me; he has a collection of old gaming systems at home [although he has modern ones as well, and I don’t].

A second bloom has opened up on the orchid. Yay! And my aunt sent me pictures of hers, which are over a decade old and bloom every year. They were a beautiful purple.

I'm thinking of applying for a position at a local public library (in a neighbouring county). It would mean a pay cut, but it's still decent pay. I have aspects of my background, both educational and practical, that would work for it, but not a lot of actual actual experience reading to children, which would be one of the main duties. But I've taken classes in children's lit and storytelling, am familiar with children's and young adult books and programming, and have run an early literacy project for about 16 years. It's an assistant children's librarian, so I could learn from someone else with more experience. We'll see.

I’m looking around and there is so much stuff I should be doing on the house, but I’m already kind of pooped from the rest of the day (which was gorgeous, sunny, with temps in the 70s), and so I think I’m going to do a little reading and turn in early. A couple of my eBooks from the library are coming due and while I don’t have to return them in any way, they do expire, so I want to do what I can to finish them, as I think tomorrow and the next day they go poof. Well, in theory. Actually, if you don’t connect a Kindle to either WiFi or 3G Wireless, it doesn’t pull them off as expired until you do so. It’s a glitch in the system, I guess, and one that I’m sure gets exploited at least a little bit. But I’m going to try to finish tonight, as one book has holds on it and can’t be renewed.

To that end, I think I’ll get off the computer, turn off the radio (Passenger’s ‘Let Her Go’ is playing}, and curl up on the couch with the Kindle, as I have the fan in the living room because I’m warm, and I don’t want to pack it back to the bedroom just now, and besides, I’d just fall on to sleep and skip the reading if I try to read in bed. (I read best when I’m out and about, rather than at home, which is rather sad, being the introverted person who has always felt comfortable with a book in my own little space before. But even as a kid, I didn’t really read in bed.)

Oh, one more thing. We saw the trailer for Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children today. So apparently Emma has air powers in the movie rather than fire, Miss Peregrine doesn’t look anything like I imagined her, and the evil antagonist is suddenly female. I don’t understand why directors have to muck with books, especially ones as delightful as this one. I will say Jacob seemed a good casting choice. I’ll probably watch it, but I really am afraid of what they’re doing to it. I like a couple of things Tim Burton has done (mainly Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas). But I was a little wary of him doing the adaptation to film. Still, at least Johnny Depp doesn’t appear to have found his way into it. I’m not a fan of him, and he’s in so many Burton movies.



Okay, that’s enough for tonight. I hope you’re having a good week. Good night!

No comments: