Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 19, 2002

Blurg...warning...babbling in progress



I feel very groggy. I fell asleep at 9pm and woke up feeling out of it when my dog decided the opossum outside was an interloper who must not trespass on the patio (I spilled bird food all over the place filling the feeders). When I woke up my clock said it was nearly 11pm, when really it was 3:30am, so I felt kinda time-warped, and my blood sugar's running in the 130s, which is actually slightly above normal but when you're used to running in say, the 180s, it can feel low. Anyway, I'm eating vanilla almond oat Harmony cereal with rice milk (it's got soy and lots of vitamins, aimed at women, but I eat it because it's also tasty) and decided I might as well blog now that I'm up.

Good news: I am finished with all my holiday shopping. I've had most of it for awhile (I started early, a little bit at a time), but there was a problem child among the recipients (oddly enough, it was Zabet's Hubby, Patrick, this year. I wasn't inspired, which was a problem, because he's also graduating this week, and you would think that would help. But at least I think it's better than the year I was so poor I gave everyone rocks for Yule. Really. Actually they were Labradorite marbles, and very pretty, although very cheap. I think everyone else still has theirs. I have no idea where mine went. It was in my purse for a long, long, time.

Today was beautiful and sunny (and even at 3:30 in the morning it is--get this--53 degrees!). Does this ruin the holiday spirit for me? Hell no, it just enhances it. I grew up in Louisiana. I'm used to some warmth around the holidays, and it's ever so much more comfy. :) I'm sure it'll be short-lived (Lexington weather is capricous at best) but I'm going to enjoy while I may. I think we're supposed to have storms tomorrow.

Ah, my brain's finally getting some of the food. I was cleaning like mad earlier (that's why I fell asleep, I think). I'm having friends over for Yule and the house has gotten piled up. On the bright side, it's mostly recycleables. :) When you spend the better part of a couple of years depressed, things slide. I hung up a lot of my clothes (I'm been just keeping them on the bed, since I've been more comfortable on the couch, anyway). I still have a ways to go, but it's getting there. It's nowhere near my prime hoarding state; I think I can straighten up everything but the study by Saturday. Nothing like company to encourage cleaning. When you live by yourself, at least if you're not a neat-freak, its amazing how many things get pulled out and then you fall asleep or get called away, etc. When you add three cats and a dog, you get pet hair (believe it or not, I still vacuum every week, but it's a losing battle) and things that wind up on the floor.

Well, I'd better go. I think I need to strech out some; my fingers are totally numb from typing around the cat.

:) Yeah, I know. Hey, he's 11 years old and very stubborn. We have compromised on him not being on the keyboard itself/more on my lap, at least. But he's determined to be between me and the computer. But I don't think the ergonomics people at work would approve.

PS I got my five-year service award at work today; couldn't remember what I chose. It's a fairly nice watch that I think I can actually wear (no binding-strap). Maybe I'll have a better chance of being early rather than breezing in at the last minute. :)

No comments: