Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I've been considering this for some time, and resisting

due to having a wired desktop and phone that piggybacks onto my cable, but I think the time to turn off the TV/Internet plan I have is coming soon. I am really getting annoyed with Time Warner Cable, which has a monopoly on cable service in our area. Since they took over, I have found that most days during a simple session online, I've either had to reset the router or reboot the computer multiple times. Our infrastructure in our apartments was recently upgraded, supposedly for the better, but apparently the problem has persisted. I pay extra for faster Internet. I am seriously considering just chucking cable altogether, as 1) it is expensive ($160 for TV and Internet alone) and 2) I have an unlimited mobile phone data plan with 2.5 GB of data for using as a mobile hotspot to use with my laptop or TV, so I could still go online or stream videos, although I'm not sure how fast that 2.5 GB would go by. Most of my Internet browsing, which is usually blogging, Facebook, banking, etc., I can do over the phone on the regular data plan anyway. It would mean giving up my landline with Vonage, which has been very good to me (they once comp'ed a month when I couldn't pay my bill), but I am just about done with the whole cable thing. And I can't have satellite or anything like that where I live. I know, First World problems, right?

No comments: