Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, December 09, 2013

So, I totally failed to blog this weekend

Sorry about that. It was a very busy one, filled with ice, Christmas trees, and the Cthulhu game. I stayed home on Friday due to the impending ice and snow, which turned out to not be too bad at all. On Saturday I went and got my insulin from the pharmacy, picked up a book at the library, put another on hold, and then went over to a friend's to help him put up his tree. I wasn't particularly enthused, as I'd already decorated both at home and at work, and his tree takes awhile to put up, because it's one of those that you put each branch into a slot, whereas at home my tree is a small potted one, and the one at work just comes out of the box, you put it in its stand, and fluff. I'd been in a great mood and holiday spirit about a week or so ago, but PMS robbed me of it and some issues I'm trying to resolve, and so I've been grumpy anyway. Plus I've been in pain--my tendonitis is back in my elbow and shoulder, and it's my dominant arm, so it really hurts pretty much when I move it. His tree always seems to wind up being an all day thing, and this was no exception, but in the end I wound up enjoying myself. But I knew it was important for him to get it up, so I went over there. It turns out that two of the light strings had burned out. So we went in search of replacements, going to Meijer and Target looking for a purple strand and an amber strand. We were able to find purple ones at Target, but had no luck with the amber ones. Going online, we determined that the nearest Lowe's that had them in-stock, for example, was in Georgetown, a town in another county. I tried several others and finally determined that K-Mart did have them--in strands of 35 lights. So we went out again, and got three strands. Then it was time to do the tree. It's absolutely beautiful in purple and gold, especially with the lights down. Anyway, I got home a little after ten, I think, tried to work on the game notes, and didn't have much luck because I was on the laptop and it kept trying to update various things and scan. I finally went to bed, got up in the middle of the night, did the notes, and went back to bed for a bit. When I got up, I didn't have much time before I was supposed to be back over there, so I forewent a shower, dressed in comfy clothes, and went out to tackle the ice on my car, which was nearly a quarter of an inch, I estimate. Then I very carefully drove over there in the ice. Normally I would have just stayed home, but the freezing rain and sleet was supposed to last till about noon and then turn to rain, melting a bit of what had accumulated, so I figured Brenda would be in for the game, and I needed to prep the house first and figured, why wait until more ice had accumulated and there'd be no preparation time at all. Plus I was taking one of my friends to Joseph-Beth for holiday cards, too. So I braved it. There was the prep, a brief interlude where I was tortured with 'Barbie: Life in the Dream House', Joseph-Beth (whose holiday card selection has sadly deteriorated), the game, and then home about 10 pm (there was no 'Witches of East End' last night, and to bed.

Even going pretty much straight to bed, I was hurting all over and didn't sleep well, and overslept a bit as I was just so loathe to leave the bed this morning. I set five alarms every night, including a gentle one that plays happy sounds before turning into an alarm and one with a rooster sound that then talks to me, and usually one will get me going. Not so much today. I've hurt all day, especially my arm, even with ibuprofen, and I just haven't felt well. I finished an audit today that I needed to, took care of some referral things, and designed a department holiday card, but that was about it. Since I was about fifteen minutes late this morning, I stayed late to make up the difference. Now I'm home. I've eaten. I think I'm going to take some more pain reliever and find my heating pad. Then if I can get to feeling better, there's some things to do around the house. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: