Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Up late without a nap

I went straight from work to the grocery store and then to a friend's house, to deliver some things we missed on the big grocery run. Fortunately, he served me a wonderful meal and my tummy is very happy. I left around 9:30 and got home at 11 (hey, it's how it is on bus time). I went online, checked the news, and then found something I've been looking for for several years on eBay and got it as a surprise for my friend. Now it's after midnight and I'm a bit tired, so I'll keep this short and sweet.

First, I'd like to wish a great couple a happy 14th anniversary tomorrow. I couldn't live with either of them without bloodshed, and I find it miraculous that they manage it, but hey, that's love for you.

Second, I have a friend whose having some pain from complications from a procedure he had yesterday, and he'll have to go into the hospital so they can poke and prod him and verify the cause. He also happens to be having a birthday on Saturday. I hope they've got it sorted out by then and he has a great one.

Lastly, I've been reading accounts of Hunger Games fans taking issue with the actress playing the part of Rue in the movie due to her race. From the beginning I pictured her as black, and I can't imagine why people are upset. I also pictured her fellow tribute from the same sector as black as well. She is described as having dark skin and eyes, which yes, could be Latina or South Asian or a host of other things, and Suzanne Collins doesn't come out and describe her as black, but that was what I pictured, and the young lady portraying her looks very similar to how I saw Rue. I suppose they'd rather Collins out-and-out say 'African-American' but I'll remind people that there is no such thing as America any more in the world of the Hunger Games. Sheesh, some people will nitpick for all they're worth. I'm still hoping to see the movie soon, maybe Saturday as part of a birthday gift to myself. I haven't figured out when I can take off work that would mean the least impact next week (I don't have a relief person in either position, and there is a time limit for the data entry that includes the weekends, so if anything, Wednesday of next week is looking good, which is two days after my birthday, but oh, well. On the other hand, I might just forgo that and celebrate Saturday. We'll see. It'll depend on the weather and a few other factors.

No comments: