Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 09, 2012

I'm loving this new schedule

It's just now about the time I would normally have gotten home a couple of weeks ago. But instead, I was able to:

  1. Go to the bank and put in a cheque I forgot to deposit yesterday (yay for a later closing time on Fridays).
  2. Eat at Taco Bell (okay, what can I say, I do about twice a year, so it's kind of a treat. I rarely eat fast food; I do eat a lot of cafeteria food, though.
  3. Go to Kroger and get a couple of things I needed.
  4. Come home and re-pot a plant into a larger pot so it could spread out.
Not bad. I must say, though, that I am glad it's Friday. This is my first full week of doing the additional tasks I've been given, and it's been a learning experience. I'm starting to learn time-saving methods, like where I can look for what I need rather than going through a lengthy process of obtaining it from other providers, or checking with the companies to see if we even need anything. I still have a ways to go to try to fit in what I'm beginning to think is at least a five-eight hour job in two hours, so I can also get everything done in terms of my data entry and, of course, the library. So I am a bit tired. I haven't been crashing like I was, but I'm really considering taking a bit of a nap, then getting up to do the game notes rather than waiting till the last minute, which I've been doing of late. No one's mentioned needing me tomorrow for anything yet, so if I can, I'm going to do the rest of the laundry, some stuff around the house, and a small grocery run. I'm also interested in doing some review of my ancient Greek. I never got past the aorist, dropping out in my first semester, but I have both semesters' books. I was thinking the other day how much I missed studying languages, so I think I'm going to try to spend a little each day (except for Sundays; there's too much to do on that day) to work on that, at least for awhile. I get these moods every now and again, and I usually drop things fairly quickly (the curse of an Aries, I suppose, they start things but sometimes have a hard time finishing them), so we'll see. Eventually, I'd like to really do well in all the languages I've studied, of which I am fluent in none but English, and some days that's questionable. I've studied Sanskrit, Biblical Hebrew, ancient Greek, Latin--classical, mediaeval, and Renaissance (probably the one language other than English I'm best with, and I'm getting rusty), Spanish, German, and also French (but only for reading), a little Welsh and Irish, a tiny bit of Cherokee, some basic hieroglyphics, and that's about it. So I'm very much a dabbler, and I want to be more fluent. (I did manage in all that to come one class away from a linguistics major--phoenetics never seemed to be taught when I could take it, and it was required. My favourite aspect was historical linguistics. They would give us languages we didn't know, so parameters, and we would be able to figure out how things changed over time. It was a great kind of puzzle. Government and binding theory nearly caused me to have a breakdown, on the other hand, and this from a person who absolutely loved diagramming sentences as a kid. I really regret that I didn't manage to finish the major.)

No comments: