Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I broke down

and turned on the air conditioner when I got home. It's after 7 pm and it's 81 degrees. I don't normally do this in March, but it's not normally this warm. I thought about just opening the windows like I have the last few days, but I've only truly been comfortable in front of the fan in the bedroom, so I figured, hey, I might as well. I did put it on 74 though, so it's not like it will get really cool.

I had a good day at work, and got a dozen or more compliments on the new hairstyle. It was such a drastic change, people were a little wowed, and I went ahead and used some thickener and blew dry it this morning (it took all of two minutes), then actually applied some makeup. One woman said it really made my eyes (which I think are my best feature) really 'pop' (that's good). I wish the pictures of me really showed what it's like. I'm not very photogenic; I haven't been since I was three. (Prior to that, I would have given many people a run for their money on sheer cuteness.)

I stopped by Gabriel Brothers and got some sandals that seem to work well with my feet. They were so comfortable, I bought two pairs, one black, one purple (of course), for the price of a pair I saw yesterday while browsing there after the haircut, since the bus wasn't coming for awhile. The pair I'd considered was one of those with the strap between the toes, which I don't really like, but they did seem comfortable beyond that. The ones I actually got have three adjustable straps, are meant for wide feet, and have nothing between the toes, with a strap in the back and a nice sole. I decided that the strap between the toe thing might not be good for a diabetic, if it rubbed and caused a sore. So I came out with a better deal and a more comfortable shoe, for that matter. These are made by Easy Spirit. I hope they do well. I'm glad I found these; my old sandals had lost all support and tread, and were really no longer comfortable, plus they were slowly falling apart, and weren't really nice enough to wear to work any more. My feet feel better in my New Balances, but when it's warm, I really prefer sandals, so the goal was to find a sandal that gave good support. We'll see if I succeeded.

I missed the bus (it moved off away from the bus stop just as I came out of the store), and the next one wasn't for an hour, so I started to walk home. A neighbour with whom I've talked before who works at Wal-Mart offered me a ride, and I took her up on it. (I know, getting into random cars, but Alice is very nice, is not a complete stranger, and I was very thankful for the ride).

So I'm home, I've tried on the shoes and walked around a bit, and putzed around a little. I've had some lentil soup and I'm thinking about reading for awhile. My Kindle library book is due back on the 24th, I think, and I'm not quite halfway through it. I haven't been reading much lately, although that may change, as my lunch buddies have been eating outside in front of the building, and I'm just not all that keen about sitting and eating in the sun, at least without sunblock. So I'm going to start bringing the tablet with me to lunch each day in case they go out, so I can read, or play a game, or catch up on the news.

Okay, I think I'm going to go put my feet up (they hurt from wearing my old beaten-up sandals) and cozy up with my book. I'll probably write later, but if not, have a good night.

No comments: