Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 01, 2012

I may be biting off more than I can chew

but I just downloaded another library book for the Kindle that I happened upon by accident, but which sounded intriguing. It's called The Metropolis Case, by Matthew Galloway. It takes place in America and in Europe, over three centuries, with four main characters united by Wagner's opera Tristan and Isolde.

I know little of opera (although I knew someone in the opera programme at the University of Kentucky, and between him and another friend with good taste, I have been exposed to some). I am, of course, familiar with Wagner, although I have never heard this particular opera, which is perhaps sad, as of course I've read versions of the original tale. But apparently it's not a requirement to enjoy the book, and it does make me think I should broaden my horizons and see if I can find some decent clips on YouTube of performances.

No comments: