Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 08, 2012

I just watched

the series finale of M*A*S*H, a series I dearly loved growing up, out from Netflix. The episode, called 'Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen', was just as moving and well done as I remember in 1983, airing when I was fifteen.

I do have one question, though, something I didn't notice all those years ago. Why is Colonel Potter's horse Sophie male? He had dangly bits not seen in a mare. How come in Hollywood they don't take care of details like that? I mean, really, I think Colonel Potter, an ex-cavalry officer, would know the difference, wouldn't you? And indeed, he did, for when the horse was first introduced, it was referred to as a colt.

Anyway, it was good to watch, and a fine ending to a long and storied series, and it was even more poignant now that Harry Morgan, who played Colonel Potter, has died. The folks involved with that show have reason to be proud of their work.

No comments: