Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Although I love e-books, as a bibliophile I love the physical book, too

especially when there's beauty to be had. I remember the pleasure of opening The Map of Time (in the library, and even though I haven't read it yet, I do intend to) and being surprised by the beautiful endpapers that were much like the ones I saw in multi-volume Burton translation of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights. And I remember thinking, I'd like to buy this book just for that, although of course the story is also very important.

Selling Old-Style Books by Their Gilded Covers
Even as more readers switch to the convenience of e-books, publishers are giving old-fashioned print books a makeover.

Many new releases have design elements usually reserved for special occasions — deckle edges, colored endpapers, high-quality paper and exquisite jackets that push the creative boundaries of bookmaking. If e-books are about ease and expedience, the publishers reason, then print books need to be about physical beauty and the pleasures of owning, not just reading.

“When people do beautiful books, they’re noticed more,” said Robert S. Miller, the publisher of Workman Publishing. “It’s like sending a thank-you note written on nice paper when we’re in an era of e-mail correspondence.”

No comments: