Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 31, 2011

I had a nice visit overnight

with my mom and grandmother. It was absolutely the best thing to go after the rush of Christmas so that we could really just sit down and talk. It was nice seeing them, and I count it as much better than the hectic environment there was at Thanksgiving. My mom gave my grandmother one of those digital photo frames for the holiday, and my stepfather loaded it with lots of pictures, so we watched for awhile and talked about the family members both here and gone. I got my grandmother a warm snuggly, soft blanket. Really, at 87, a person gets to be hard to shop for, and she tends to get cold easily--she's like a little bird.

My mom has a Kindle, so an Amazon gift card seemed appropriate, and my step-father is a gadget nut who builds computers, so he got one from Best Buy.

I think I've done pretty well at getting folks something small that they'll like and use. One present I'm unsure of, because the person may already have one. We'll see; I kept the receipt. I actually saw something at the library earlier that at first glance I thought he would like, a compendium of early Alfred Hitchcock movies, but then I realised several were silent and he's one of those people who lies in bed with the movie on and a pillow over his eyes. Really. So no good on that, he'll get what I already bought him. :)

I got home today and checked the mail and there wasn't anything from Netflix, and then I realised I was looking at Friday's mail and Saturday's hadn't arrived. It did a few minutes later and there was the comforting little red envelope with A Beautiful Mind in it. I plan to watch that on Monday.

Okay, I have stuff to do, and should get off my butt and do them. I'll probably post around midnight and wish everyone a happy new year. Good night, otherwise, though.

No comments: