Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Wow

With 'Bird' in hand, Borel charges to win

Unlike many Kentuckians (and quite a few guests to our Commonwealth), I was not at Churchill Downs, or even watching the Kentucky Derby in simulcast at Keeneland, Lexington's historical track. I didn't go to a Derby party--I worked instead, but I was at a friend's house at Derby time and like no doubt millions of others, we switched the TV over to watch the most famous 2 minutes in sports.

What a run! I had gone with Dunkirk (because I like grey horses, although bays, being more prevalent, win more often), and my friend had picked him because he liked his particulars. But out of nowhere a 50-1 long shot came barreling through along the rail to win the 135th Derby--a horse bought for less than $10,000, with good breeding but not a great background in terms of races. But Mine That Bird also had an excellent jockey, Calvin Borel, whom at first I thought was French by his accent, then recognised the Louisiana accent I grew up around.

The article above is by former Lexington-Herald Leader writer Billy Reed. (The H-L only keeps their articles public for 7 days, so I found another source to link to.)

There will be no stud fee for Mind that Bird, or offspring for that matter, as he is a gelding, one of only two that have won the Derby in my lifetime.

What a run, though....I wonder how he will do (if they enter him, of course) in the Preakness and Belmont.

Didn't see the race? There is an official Kentucky Derby channel on YouTube, and they've posted a replay (and graciously allowed it to be embedded):

No comments: