Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sad circumstances

One of my co-workers is going to a funeral on Friday for a young man killed in a car accident in Glasgow, Kentucky. The girl driving was texting on her phone, went through a stop sign into a semi truck. She came out without a scratch. The semi impacted on his side, and he died. He was only fourteen. I'm pretty sure she's being charged in the case.

I don't understand why people insist on using their cell phones when driving. I won't say I've never done it, but I can count the times on one hand, and yes, it's a distraction. I usually wait until I can find a place to pull over and call the person back. But to text on a cell phone is even worse, because you're looking away from driving and at the screen. It's stupid and irresponsible, and it can cause someone (maybe even the texter) to die.

Before you use your cell phone when driving, think of the devastation of this family, and ask yourself if it's worth it.

PS 5/30/09 I talked to my co-worker about how the funeral went. A lot of people were angry because the girl who was driving came, and mostly talked about how she'd broken her tail bone, ignoring the fact that a supposed friend had died. So she didn't get out without a scratch, but it was minor compared to what he went through. Apparently right after the incident happened she showed up at the hospital, didn't ask about the young man, but rather asked about her phone. That's cold. This is so sad, and they had to drive by the scene of the accident to get from the funeral home to the cemetery.

No comments: