Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 05, 2009

I have fish!

I got one common plecostomus (yes, they get big, but it's the difference of $4.49 vs. over $30 for something more exotic that doesn't) and four platies (livebearers), the latter of which are bright orange. I prefer swordtails, but they didn't really have more than a couple, and I didn't care for their colouring. I'm starting with just a few to see how they do in the tank--you shouldn't start with too many at once. Besides, I was trying to keep the price down, and got all of them for a little over $11. If Brenda's fish survived the storm (she was having to put wood on the fire to try to save fish in several tanks), she may have some other livebearers for me later, should the tank prove to work well. I'm glad I didn't have fish in the aquarium during the power outage; the people at the pet store told me of measures like a woman who put her Betta bowl on one of those diffusers with a candle under it, and someone who used candles to heat an aquarium. Here's hoping to no more weather on par with last week to interfere with this tank. Yay for fish!

I must recommend a product called Stability that took care of the nitrate problem and made it negligible on tests.

I went to look at the fish and had a devil of a time finding one of the platies, which is between some Java moss and a rock hiding. It's a little shy. That's fine; it will come out once it becomes comfortable with its new environment. I mean, it just got netted and put in a plastic bag, then landed in a much bigger aquarium. It's a 'George! George! What happened to George?!' kind of thing, stressful for the fish.

Okay, I've straightened up a bit during the wait to get them acclimated before letting them out of the bag; now I'm taking about a thirty-minute nap.

No comments: