Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 12, 2007

I am addicted

Which is why two hours of sleep time just trickled away as I recited piano tunes, spoke to talking plants, juggled weights, and tried to assemble a signpost in the dark.

What I'm talking about it the Dream Chronicles, a puzzle game with an interesting story, too. You play Faye, who has awoken from the sleep spell cast upon her town by the Fairy Queen of Sleep, who has spirited away her husband to have a child of her own. Along the way you collect dream jewels to increase power, but the focus is mostly on solving the various puzzles to get from place to place. First you must find the various pieces, then arrange them according to logic, or do some task such as arranging books (that was easy for me), playing back tunes heard on the piano (hard for me), or figuring out which toy, vegetable, or book combination will open a gate. The graphics and music are very nice. You can play online at the link above. I got my version free through Real Arcade's GamePass (well, since it's $10 a month, I actually got it for that, but it's still half-price). I think that will be the last game I get through GamePass; I need to buckle down on all expenses, and I've been able to rebuild my collection except for Inspector Parker, which is no longer offered through Real Arcade.

PS I love the organic nature of the architecture in this game. I would love to have these houses and gardens. Okay, enough. I've managed to win past the piano and am now scrabbling in the dark. Better to leave that to another day. Time for bed. Good night.

No comments: