Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yay!

It's 9:10 and I'm ready for work except for putting my shoes on. I've been having a hard time getting up before about 9:25 (bad when you have to be at work at 10), so I've been very rushed in the mornings. Today I can really wake up a little slowly whilst my brain comes online. I did the set-my-clock-ahead-at-a-random-time trick to fool myself (normally after I figure out the time difference, I start calculating it when I'm half asleep, but it works for awhile when I first start). So even though it's gloomy outside, I'm awake. I'm hoping that falling back from Daylight Savings Time will help, too. I think we do that this weekend. [Correction, that's next week, due to changes in the system.]

I checked and my direct deposit has gone through. It's like magical elves (or if this were Harry Potter, goblins) come and fill my coffers at night. I love direct deposit. I really should do it with the gas station, too. After all, it'll soon be 2 years since I started there. According to my boss, I have a following of regulars. Several people did ask me why I was off, too. It's nice to be appreciated. I think the gas station job does four things for me: 1) keeps me afloat financially by filling in the gaps of my other job, 2) forces me to deal in pleasantries with a constantly-changing stream of people who are very different in demeanor, 3) keeps me on my toes and active, and 4) fulfills my need to help people (a reason I'm a librarian, too).

Well, I'm going to get my shoes on and go into work, getting some money along the way. Hope you have a good day. And for those of you in southern California...I've heard a lot of people here say that even though we've been in a drought and need the rain, we wish you were getting some of it instead. They're thinking about you--and so am I. A co-worker (well, briefly a co-worker, he lasted a week if that) said he wasn't sorry for all these rich people losing their homes, especially since they built in a fire zone. But it's not just rich people--and one thing about fire, it's a great equaliser, without regard for social status or wealth. And it's just as devastating to lose your home regardless of who you are, what you do, or how much you have. And it's hard to find a place in the suburbs of Los Angeles that isn't in a fire zone. At least when I lived there, I was in the desert. But I was also 80-90 miles from LA. That's a bit much for a commute. Anyway, I hope they get some relief soon.

No comments: