Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I feel snotty, oh so snotty

Sorry I haven't posted. I've been turning in early because I've been fighting a cold (and losing). Memorial Day I was in bed (or more accurately, in chair, by 9 pm). I've been sleeping in the recliner with the CPAP machine because I've been able to breathe better upright. I need a new masque and hose, so some air is leaking. Plus my machine may need to be recalibrated--it's been several years. Today I need to make an appointment with the sleep centre to see if I can take care of that. Wouldn't want to die quietly in my sleep, you know.

Saturday it was like having part of the day off, since I only worked six hours (I'm back to the normal ten this week). Sunday was the game, fortunately with no explosions this time but we did all get satellite cell phone hookups which was great. They're supposed to be global, which will help in the Antarctic adventure. It helps to have a few wealthy characters in the game, as they're about $2000 a piece.

Monday I went home to visit my mom and grandmother (who turned 83 yesterday). I brought my grandmother some calla lillies for her birthday. It took me nearly an hour just to check all the car fluids (trying to avoid killing another engine like I did last year). It took awhile to figure out where the transmission fluid dipstick was, since it was hidden behind and down from the engine. Fortunately I still have my manual. It needed antifreeze, oil, and a smidge of transmission fluid. I went ahead and got a phone card and then I was on my way.

It was a pleasant drive (thank goodness for cruise control, my personal anti-trooper deterrent--who needs radar guns if you're not speeding?) and a pleasant trip. My mom was between a 16-hour and 8-hour shift up in Lexington, so she couldn't stay long. I have my insurance card for the car now, too, so while hopefully I won't need it, I won't be without it should I be stopped. My grandmother loaned me her exercise bike, since she can't use it anymore. I haven't gotten it out of the car yet; I'll try that tonight.

After I got back, D and I went shopping with the gift card I'd received. I got 5 pairs of underwear, 1 bra, 1 nightgown, 3 blouses, a pair of sandals that are dressy enough for work, and a skirt, and basically only paid for the skirt. It took us a little over an hour to hunt things down, which amazed Dwana.

Yesterday it was back to work to both jobs with the cold in full swing. It's worse today--I'm just clammy and snotty and seriously wondering if I should call into work. But I'll preservere. Besides, I don't want my boss at the gas station to have to work a double because of me. But man, I feel like crap.

Cerys is itchy again, so I need to check into giving her another cortisone shot--I don't want to do that too often, it can trigger diabetes, but I don't want her miserable either. Plus she goes around the house rubbing against everything, pulling bookshelves down, and heading for a crescendo of the only real bark she does anymore, which isn't good in an apartment complex environment. She's calmed down this morning, thankfully. But I think a shot is in order.

Well, I guess that's all for now. It feels like Tuesday because of the holiday. Soon I'll be painting shelves and a bedroom between jobs, so I'm not sure how much time I'll get to blog--I hope to keep up pretty well, though. Hope you have a wonderful day.

No comments: