Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sorry I didn't post yesterday

I was finishing up the catalogue (yay!) and preparing for a meeting today. Other things I've been up to:

Applying online to several companies for a third part-time job. I've already received one offer for an interview and one rejection. But, I did some digging into the place wanting an interview and it turned out to be Vector Marketing/Cutco knives. I really don't think that 1) I want to sell knives 'door-to-door' so to speak, 2) that I want to get into such a controversial multi-level management scheme, and 3) that I have the resources to make money there (I'd have to deposit money for the sample set, plus I don't have a home phone to make cold calls with). Anyway, I thanked them but bowed out before going any further. Try putting their names into a Google Search and you'll get tons of negative reactions to the company and also lots of die-hard supporters. I don't have enough friends and family to alienate over a set of knives, thank you.

What else? Last night I watched Tyra Banks' show where she put on a fat suit to be 350 lbs and got to see how differently people treated her. It was a little touchy-feely and one girl just brought the show to a careening halt by interrupting the other woman to talk about herself, but otherwise it was well done. They brought in a store clerk who treated her the same and a bevy of guys she went on blind dates with, too. As a fat woman I didn't learn anything new but it was interesting to watch the experiment. I'm still processing some of the emotions it dredged up. I really do think my weight impedes me in finding a successful career, and it certainly affects and is affected by my self-esteem. The women they had on the show were all attractive and done up nicely, which frankly a lot of fat women (including me) don't bother with all the time. If you get a chance to watch it, it's worth watching.

Today is payday for the second job and I'll see if I have enough for my rent. In the meantime I'm trying to spend next to nothing and I'm eating lots of peanut butter sandwiches.

That's it for now. I'm almost ready for my meeting, the last possibly of our consortium before we fold into a larger organisation with another consortium for a truly state-wide medical library consortium. I'm also going to demonstrate the catalogue and maybe share some of the historical books and scrapbooks I discovered when I did the cataloguing. Take care.

No comments: