Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Enjoy some art


The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an exhibit of Van Gogh's drawings currently on their website. Since I came across it and discovered that non-profit websites can include pictures from the Met with a credit to the museum, I thought I'd post my favourite piece here. To see the larger exhibit piece, go to their website. This one is called Cypresses and is from 1889.

The more I learn about art and mental illness, the more interested I have become in Vincent Van Gogh. I have to wonder, would medicine that we have today have saved him? Would it have let his art continue? Or would it have stifled the creative genius? I don't know. But we're left with these works of art that show a unique way of looking at the world. I find this one both disturbing and uplifting. The cypresses seem to be some sort of Lovecraftian monster striding along, but the sky, grass, and mountains seem to dance with life and vitality. What do you think?

No comments: