Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 05, 2004

A Quiet Saturday

listening to: 'I Think I Saw a Light Shine' by Alexi Murdoch
feeling: Achy but content

with friends, watching episodes of British sci-fi shows, dog bathing, working on the typing project, bookshopping, etc. Now I'm home sans Cerys, who is on a sleepover tonight.

The most exciting part of the day was watching the Belmont. I was sorry to see the Triple Crown elude a horse once again, but I must say, everyone showed such professionalism and grace given the circumstances, and Smarty Jones did an excellent job of maintaining pace on such a long track--it's just that another horse was able to catch him in the end. Still, an undefeated career through the Preakness is rather amazing.

I thought it a blessing that former President Reagan passed away. I have seen what Alzheimer's does to the patient and the family firsthand, having had a great-grandmother who suffered from it for fifteen years. The erosion of personality is heart-breaking, and although I did not care for Ronald Reagan's politics, I hate to see that happen to anyone. At least the fact that his case was so high-profile might help others understand the disease better, meaning better treatment and perhaps even prevention in the future. I must say Joseph-Beth seemed a bit ghoulish, having a cart with biographies of Reagan out soon after the news. They also were selling prints of the Versailles Road Castle that was destroyed in a fire last month. They get points for timeliness, but still...it seemed similar to those businesses hoping to cash in on the change of venue in the Scott Petersen trial, only to find that interest the lengthy process of selecting a jury had made it lose momentum in light of other 'popular' legal cases.

Well, that's all for now. Time for dinner and to contemplate what evil might befall us in the game tomorrow. I think for now I'm going to go build some moonbases with Moon Tycoon and relax.

No comments: