Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Hekataion: Tonight

In my religious practice, I give a libation (an offering of liquid made to a God) of wine or wine and honey on the first full night of my menstruation. This is poured upon a stone altar built to Hekate outside my home. Tonight is my first celebration of this practice after a recent move. I waited until tonight to move the altar stones themselves, for it is during my period when I am most connected to the Goddess. I set them up near a bush outside my window. This took care of the physical aspect. There was also a spiritual component; before moving the stones, I visualised the essence of the altar draining down into the earth. I then brought this essence back into the stones at the new place before making my first offering. This consisted of a bottle of burgundy wine, poured upon each stone (there are three main ones, one for each part of the triform Goddess), covering it completely.
 
Libations are always made after a ritual bath, for Hekate is a Goddess of purification. Sometimes I use lavendar oil in the bath, or salt. Tonight I used a bit of sea water taken from the Atlantic Ocean. The bath allows me to get into the proper frame of mind, as well as cleaning my body and generally relaxing me. Depending on how much I need to do to slip into a more sacred mentality, I may burn incense or light candles. Tonight I was content with the cool water and the scent of lavendar and chamomile oil. As I bathed I imagined myself on a beach, near a fire of driftwood. I stood at the shore, the sea crashing in, the tide rushing up to my toes and then retreating, like the inhalation and exhalation of breath. I could smell the sea air, and feel the cool sand and the sea's salt beneath my feet. Here, at the shore, all the elements--earth, air, fire, and water came together. But there is also spirit, and that is also abundant in the seam, invigorating the soul. In my mind's eye, I slipped out of my robe and into the sea, bathing in its essence, becoming one with it. Then I returned and donned the robe, continuing down the shore to a sea cave with the altar inside.
 
At that point I left the bath, and went through the activation of the altar and the offering of the wine. I always drink a bit myself--a form of communion with the Goddess--and then I gave the wine in offering. Usually I may petition the Goddess or ask for Her wisdom. Tonight I quietly hailed Her--'Chaire Hekate'--welcomed her to this new place, and fell into silent contemplation, then returned to my home. I felt strongly compelled to start writing my experiences here. In the beginning of my practice, I never wrote anything down, because traditionally that is how it has been. But as I have shared experiences in how She is sometimes portrayed in the media and online, I have felt that it is important to offer my own experiences with the Goddess as an alternative view.
 
Well, that is all for tonight. I feel that it was a good beginning. 



No comments: