Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 12, 2004

Thank goodness they got rid of Kelly

on SciFi's Mad Mad House. Hers was a perfect example of histrionic borderline behaviour: unpleasant, attention-seeking, freakishly self-absorbed, self-defeating, and moody. She never seemed to realise she wasn't playing 'Survivor'; she wanted to scheme against the others but it's not like the 'guests' get to vote off each other; that's the 'hosts' job, and frankly she showed her true colours once she was voted off, being terribly melodramatic and ungracious. I doubt she has any idea how utterly abrasive, stupid, and generally unappealing she came off as. And I can say that because I've been a person and known people who acted just like this because they were nervous, or had low-self-esteem, and had terribly coping mechanisms. She wants people to feel sorry for her and blames everyone else for her failures. Been there, done that. It's not endearing. After awhile you either go into therapy or people start avoiding you. I know. I've been there. Watching Kelly was like watching a younger version of me. Fortunately I chose the therapy route, and can now say I have a great circle of friends, and decidedly don't pull that sort of stuff anymore.

As far as Kelly goes, good riddance. There's a reason she's a virgin living in a convent (where do they find these people?) Maybe at some point she'll grow up. Until then, I'm just glad I don't have to put up with her on the show. Her attention-seeking behaviour was of the disruptive kind. It had to all be about her. She got her 15 minutes (or in this case 120 minutes) of fame, and came off looking crass. Such a shame, but she chose that path.

One thing I like is that most of the 'Alts'--especially Art and Avocado, have good personal skills and are pretty grounded. Don (the vampire) seems intent on shock value with his Marilyn Mansonesque performance rather than spiritual pursuits, but he's an exception. For all that the supposed 'normal' people think of the 'Alts' as freaks, so far I'd much rather spend time with the latter.

No comments: