Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

If this had actually been a real tornado...

So, I'm driving to work today and jamming to Maroon 5's 'This Love' when an alert comes over the radio, which was a bit disconcerting because they normally test the emergency system on Wednesdays. Apparently we were having a state-wide tornado drill.

It was one of the best emergency tests I'd ever heard. Rather than just being annoying, it was saying things like 'think about what you would do in the event of an actual tornado'. I'd have hurried on up the hill to my workplace; it's a children's hospital, so it's majorly into safety, and it's so not cool to be in a car during a tornado.

I guess if I'd been home the best place to go would be my bathroom; it's the only room without windows, although I'm at a slight disadvantage because my apartment has a wall on three sides; there's really no 'interior' room. I suppose another possibility is the crawlspace; there's an opening to it right outside my door. Gods willing, it won't be an issue.

Working in healthcare you have such a heightened sense of disaster preparation; safety awarness is so important. I hate to admit it, but I never really did much on the preparation front at home, even after 9/11, until after our ice storm last year. Tornados, floods, ice storms, and earthquakes are all disasters that can hit Kentucky. Then there's always the potential for chlorine spills, tanker wrecks, and nerve agents. Not to mention bombs of various types. Okay, I'm going to stop that line before it sounds too paranoid.

I have flashlights, batteries, candles, and matches. I have a 1960s ball and chain radio with batteries. I have a fire extinguisher, plus a smoke detector. I try to have food in the house that doesn't require cooking (learned that from the ice storm) and food for the pets. I have space heaters and blankets. I try to keep medication current, although at least I live across the street from a pharmacy. I try to have at least a couple of gallons of water in my house and I have an emergency kit in the car that includes a blanket and bag to use as a water container. I have a normal phone that works even when there is no electricity (it amazes me the number of people out there who only have a cordless), and a pay-as-you-go cell phone as back up. So that's not too bad. I should probably add duct tape and get a new battery for my CO detector, since I do have a gas furnace, though. And I should put all that stuff actually together so it would be useful during chaos, right? :)

Okay, so I was never a Girl Scout, but that's not bad.

No comments: