Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Had an interesting conversation today

...apparently one of my ancestors travelled back and forth from England to America, wrote letters home about slavery and utopian theories, was a vegetarian, and died in a commune in Kansas during the heyday of utopian experiments in the 19th century. Another relative had been raised by the Shakers [who were celibate], but she ran off with one of the men to enjoy the more carnal pleasures of life.

I always wondered how an unconventional person like myself came out of a long line of Baptist ministers (okay, ministers who invented bourbon, but still....) Apparently I take after the Broadbent line in more than just the lack of neck. :) One of my cousins is researching the line and I'm excited because they're the side I know little about. I've been estranged from my own father for a decade, and he was estranged from his. Which is also apparently something that runs in the family, along with divorces, wandering spirits, twins, and mental illness. Gods, it explains so much. I'm interested in reading the final book. I'm starting to regret changing my name. It looks like quite a family name to live up to. :)

No comments: