Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Whaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!! An icon of my childhood (and millions of others) has died...

A friend of mine just called to tell me this: CNN.com - TV's 'Captain Kangaroo,' Bob Keeshan, dead - Jan. 23, 2004

I loved 'Captain Kangaroo' growing up. I loved the moose with the ping pong balls, and 'Simon and the Land of Chalk Drawings', and the one cartoon with the girl and her dog. Along with 'Sesame Street', 'Electric Company', 'Romper Room', and 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood', I really was priveleged to experience the heyday of children's television. Maybe they were too innocent by today's standards, but I really think they are far superior to say, 'Barney' or the host of cartoons I love but really don't consider 'for kids'.

I remember crying when Mr Green Jeans died. Now this. I am so verklempt.

No comments: