Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, June 29, 2003

What's a classicist to do?

Looking over the TV listings for tonight I find...


  1. Warrior Challenge (where modern athletes, police, and military live and train like Vikings)
  2. TNT's miniseries Caesar, which includes one of the last performances of the late, great Richard Harris
  3. Jason and the Argonauts (1963 version)
  4. Clash of the Titans (which I have fond memories of, especially in mythology class when we took apart the script)


Unfortunately I got in after 1 was over, 2 had started (although it repeats later tonight, hmmm), and I've seen 3 and 4 several times a piece. Still, it was nice to see so many classics-inspired offerings.

Since I did come in late, I went online instead of watching TV, which is how I came across the headline regarding the death of Katharine Hepburn. :( People say these things go in threes. First Gregory Peck, then Hume Cronyn, now Katharine Hepburn. I dare say her voice especially will be remembered by generations. She was the epitome of a strong woman who could be sexy and brainy all at once, and she's probably my all-time favourite actress. On a librarian-related note, she played with her long-time love, Spencer Tracy, in Desk Set which many librarians will tell you is THE librarian movie of the century (I still haven't managed to watch it). For more great pictures and a filmography, try Simon Sez and for just about anything else, try this page of links.

No comments: