Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 23, 2003

:)



Maybe there's something to say about fiscal responsibility. I chose not to pre-order Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix because I decided it was better to pay bills and I decided there really was no need to be 'first' in the feeding frenzy--I couldn't go to any of the parties because of the buses not running late enough, and I'm not sure I'd want to be in the middle of a press of screaming kids and adults. I get paid this Thursday, so it's not like I'd have to wait long, right? Of course, come Saturday when I was in the presence of a book that I could not tear into myself, I must admit I wavered. It was even harder because I started Saturday out being entertained by a dream of going to Hogwarts on a flying Holstein (where you had to stop and milk the cow--good for potions, and low fat!) But I consoled myself. Nevermind that it seemed everyone around me was either deep into the book or had already finished by yesterday. Fortunately, they were good and didn't spill anything. Today, though, I went into work and one of my co-workers announced that she had something for me. Seems she had picked up a copy and started it, only to realise she didn't remember who all the characters were and that she should go back and re-read the others. So...she brought me her copy to read. :)! So, I'm on chapter fourteen and going full-steam ahead (although I refuse to stay up all night like some people did this weekend!) Considering I walked into a library with a jammed copier where it was being very Monday all over the place, that helped. So did Dwana, who bought me breakfast so I didn't have a total breakdown myself.

PS Word on the street is that if you want a book cheaper than the local booksellers, you may want to check out Kroger, where it was selling for about the same as Amazon with no shipping. :)

Meanwhile on the karma front, remember the maintenance guy who was saying one thing to me and another to the rental office (which cost me $50 in lock-out fees)? Seems he was fired and has to be out by the end of the month. Now, I'm actually not thrilled by this...I like Bert and his family. But it does seem like things came back around, if you know what I mean. Bert's got a new job, and they're moving over to Versailles road, so I think things will be okay for them. However, I get the impression though that they're just turning their cat Salem out. He's a black cat with apparently a tendency to spray. I can't possibly take him in (I've got four animals), but I'm going to keep an eye out and put food out if he needs it. They are trying to find a home for him, but I wouldn't put it past them to just leave him behind. :(

No comments: