Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, July 23, 2023

I am a bit frustrated

I sent the following e-mail to Dexcom regarding my latest problem with their G7 continuous glucose monitor system that I have been trying to use for three months now. I'd already put a service ticket in; this was supplemental.  Let me preface that each time they have sent me a replacement sensor at no cost, and their customer service has been excellent over the years.  Maybe it's my skin. I don't know.  But I hope they can solve my problem.

I just wanted to let you know this seems to have been an actual sensor failure. It was inserted, paired, warmed up, and was stuck well on my skin, but it failed after two readings, about 15 minutes after the warmup was complete.  However, I did notice when I took it off that I'd apparently hit a capillary or something, as there was quite a bit of blood under the sensor.  This has happened one other time (it actually fountained through the little hole, but that one remained working). This is, I believe, the fifth sensor I have had to contact you about.  I'm having difficulty keeping them on even with the over-patches (and larger third-party bandage over-patches on top of that, even).  I use a skin-tac pad prior to inserting and keep the liquid form with me in case the over-patch begins to peel. I am showering less so I don't have issues. I have just joined the YMCA because of the warm water/therapy pool but have been afraid to get in it because these things refuse to stay on my skin. This has all been within my first three-month supply. I have tried four different types of over-patches in addition to just your own.  I initially had trouble with the G6 but nothing like this.  Is there anything else I can do? I have read all the FAQs and watched numerous Dexcom and YouTube videos. I'm really frustrated. I have had exactly one do what it is supposed to do as far as sticking/working.  I like the G7. I like the arm (although I did better on insertion by looking online for pictures of people my size wearing it; the diagrams are a little misleading if you have any flabby skin).  I like the shorter warmup and the grace period, and I believe the readings are more accurate.  But every time I change my sensor it's very frustrating. Most of the ones which have fallen off have done so within a couple of hours.  One made it to the next day and had to have the skin-tac liquid applied.  As I said, only one did well, and that was with a third-party over-patch. I am using my left arm, which is not dominant. The one time I tried the other it fell off immediately. I cannot begin to tell you how much frustration and anxiety this is producing.  I just want it to work. This one really looked like it was going to stay on well and then within a few minutes gave up the ghost. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Elisabeth Eilir Rowan

 

No comments: