Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Here's more on that horrific tornado in Oklahoma

Oklahoma tornado tears massive path of death, destruction

At one point it was supposed to be about two miles wide, and stayed on the ground for about 45 minutes, according to one report I saw. The death toll is at 51 as of now, and is expected to increase--another new story under breaking news says the coroner's office has been told to expect about 40 more bodies--and they're still working on recovery. At least 20 so far are children, as elementary schools were in a direct path of the twister. I can't imagine how people are doing there, with so much destruction. My thoughts and prayers are with them. If you can donate to the Red Cross or other organisation aiding those affected, please consider doing so. I am.

Update 05/21/13: The toll has not risen, in fact it's dropped, as some were double-counted, but now authorities are going door-to-door and there may be others still trapped or dead below the rubble. It's been upgraded to an F5, over 200-mile-an-hour winds. Absolutely terrible, with a debris field going on for 17 miles. I can't wrap my head around it (and I lived in Kansas for a couple of years and have watched tornadoes from a distance, although thankfully never experienced them up close.

No comments: