Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oh, this is wonderful!

Dictionary of Medieval Latin from British Sources project nears completion
A huge number of students ranging from linguists to those studying coins and family ancestry are benefiting from a 100 year project to compile the world’s most comprehensive dictionary of Medieval Latin.

Work started on the unique Dictionary of Medieval Latin from British Sources 50 years ago but experts began collecting material early in the 20th century.

Now the initiative is nearing completion and Professor Tobias Reinhardt, Corpus Christi Professor of the Latin Language and Literature at Oxford University is responsible for seeing it through.
And it will be available online, with the target date of 2014. Yay! It will include words of late Antiquity up through the 16th century. This is truly a remarkable resource.

Reinhardt is quoted as saying, 'People will be able to search for words online when they have an internet connection, using their iPhones and of course laptops. As a medieval Latin dictionary it is the leading publication in its field.'

I am so excited. This would have made my life in grad school ever so much easier.

Thanks to Bill for sharing this on Facebook with me in mind. I get the feed from this blog, but I've been so busy (tonight, for example, I went over to my friends' house and fixed the computer and phone service) that I haven't caught up on my feeds.

No comments: