Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 15, 2011

One reason I'm glad I don't eat meat

Multi-Drug Resistant Staph in 1 in 4 Meat Samples
A team of researchers from Arizona bought meat and poultry in five cities across the United States, tested them for bacteria, and found this: 47 percent of the samples contained the very common pathogen Staphylococcus aureus, and 96 percent of those isolates were resistant to at least one antibiotic. Of more concern: 52 percent of those staph isolates were resistant to at least three antibiotics that are commonly used in both veterinary and human medicine.
I know, you can get E. coli from vegetables and fruits organically grown in manure as well, but meat just isn't appealing to me on so many levels. And although I can't prove any relevance, I will say that I haven't had a strep infection (which I got so often when I was younger that I couldn't get my tonsils out because they weren't free of the infection) since I stopped eating meat twenty years ago.

No comments: