Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Want to be a Dewey Lunatic?

Josh Hanagarne, the World's Strongest Librarian, has come up with a personal project, but he'd love to share, too.

A Reading Project For Lunatics – Join Me!

The Dewey Lunatic Project

Here's the scoop: The Dewey decimal system is full of categories numbered from 000 to 999. Josh' idea is to read one book for every one of the main headings 000, 010, 020, etc. It can be a book from any of the subsets, but doesn't have to be from a particular one or from all of the subdivisions (that would take a lifetime). Still, it works out to about 1000 books, and he's going to start new, not rely on things he's already read.

Are you up for the challenge? I think it's a great idea. I have so little time to read now (when I was a kid, in the summer, I read 6 books a day; now I'm lucky if I get in one a month), but this is a great incentive, and the fact is I'll learn a lot, since 1) it's non-fiction and 2) it's stuff I wouldn't normally read. What do you think? I'll at least try, and I'll post the books here. Thanks, Josh!

No comments: