Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, May 17, 2010

I love birds

I saw the male red-winged blackbird both this morning as I walked to the bus stop and this afternoon when I went to the library. (The two are near a marsh that is in front of St Joseph East hospital, and it apparently lives there and comes over to a feeder the library folks have set up outside their children's area. It has a very distinctive call that I'm learning to recognise. More than likely there's a female somewhere but they're hard to spot and look very different. I have become very keen on birds of late, and always check for ducks and geese near the reservoirs in town as I ride the bus. I should probably take up bird watching and find a guide. I do have a book that lists some very well-known species that has buttons to play their various calls. But the thrill of seeing less common birds would be nice, too. I have a pair of binoculars. I could be the crazy old bird lady obsessed by warblers. :)

(Picture by Walter Siegmund, used under the GNU Documentation/Creative Commons Licences)

No comments: